Sunday, September 2, 2012

Oh how time flies...

I apologize for not posting since last Tuesday evening. I decided writing one blog a day was a bit much for people to follow so I think what I will do is write about 4 blogs a week so that you can get a jist of what I am up to but aren't overwhelmed by me posting. 

Here is what has happened since then:

Wednesday:
Coffee with Jenny @ Thump-
I have come to realize that bend has incredibly awesome coffee shops. Jenny decided she needed to show me downtown a little and one of her favorite spots so we got coffee at Thump. Thump is this adorable little cafe where every time you visit, you make a wish out of a rectangle piece of wood. They have sharpies and you write/decorate your wish for them to hang from the ceiling. In a way, it's like a Japanese wish tree or how they hang prayers in temples. After getting coffee we walked around and we stepped inside a quaint tea house that is open until 11 pm with free wifi. Not to mention that the smell in there is impeccable! They have all sorts of loose teas lining the walls and you pick which one you want! I will check that place out for sure! Then we stopped by a cute bakery and Jenny bought us some Mt. Bachelor cookies in which we dipped in our coffee. SO GOOD! We chatted for a good hour or so and as I am getting to know her more and more, I am coming to find how incredible she is! I feel like God has put us together in the same house for a reason (and we have tons in common!). I am excited for what lies ahead for our friendship.

Lunch with Carl @ Cafe Yumm-
Next I had lunch with Carl at good ol' Cafe Yumm. Delicious as usual. Let me tell you, it is so nice that we can call each other up now and have lunch dates! Kick that long distance to the curb! We took a short walk on the water front afterwards. The mountains are beautiful here and I feel spoiled that I get to see them everyday!

Impromptu shopping in Old Mill Area-
Since I was there... I couldn't help but look around. Corvallis barely has any shopping so being here makes me a little happy. I went into PacSun and got a zip up and a sweater. The zip up (which is teal, my fav) and was on sale which made the sweater half off! Yay! 

Dinner at Matt & Hillary's-
Matt and Hillary invited Carl and I to dinner for Tex Mex casserole which was tasty! It's been such a blessing getting to know these two. I couldn't have asked for a better boss (Matt) and a better couple to look up to. They are incredibly real and down to Earth plus they make my job so enjoyable.

Youth Group-
My first youth group! It was a lot of fun even though there were only about 12 high schoolers there. We played this game called "Family" which is kind of like "The Game of Things" (which is a hilarious game, go play it). Then Matt talked about how to create a solid foundation in Christ for new school year. A lot of the answers came up with love. The Holy Spirit then moved Matt to share a personal story (that wasn't planned at all) that talked about someone he had a relationship with that didn't start off with love and how that ruined a lot of things between him and the person as well as with other people. Eventually God pulled them back together through a tragic event and God told Matt to have a relationship with the person again but start it with the love God gives. It changed their entire demeanor and the person eventually accepted Christ which is amazing!! The kids seemed really receptive and I hope that they think about these things as they go into a new year.

Thursday:

Coffee with Matt & James at Looney Bean-
Again, amazing coffee shop by the river. Matt got me something called the Velvet Elvis. I am not sure what it was but it was sweet, delicious and came in a beer mug. We then proceeded to talk about meeting together to listen to sermons and topics for the year. One thing Matt shared with us was a passage from the book Erasing Hell by Francis Chan (amazing man). They also showed me how to play cornhole. I am really bad at it. 

Wine Night ("mentor speed dating")-
Well basically Jenny is amazing and once I told her I was wanting a mentor, she went to work! She planned a ladies night a wine cafe called Portellos where about 20 women from the church came to have wine, chat, meet me and hang out with each other. Some knew I was looking for a mentor, some didn't. I had a blast getting to know these Godly women and found two of them I really connected with. I got their numbers and they both have engineers for husbands so they are going to invite Carl and I over sometime for us all to hang out. I feel so fortunate to have this community, let me tell ya! 

Hunger Games and quality time with Carl-
Carl and I really hadn't made time for just the two of us since I got here so we bought some beer/wine and rented the Hunger Games. It was so nice to just be around him. I am incredibly blessed to have someone who loves me, loves God and who always is patient. This man is all I have ever wanted and I am thankful for every day with him. 

Friday:

Road trip back to Corvallis-
My family wanted me to come home this weekend to celebrate my birthday (since my parents won't be here) so off Carl and I went! We decided to take our time and ended up stopping in Sisters at their well known bakery as well as took the scenic route (Mackenzie Pass). I got the yummiest donut at the bakery! It was devils food cake... it melted in my mouth. Go get one if you ever are able! You won't be sorry! 

The scenic route was longer but beautiful! We stopped by some lava fields where there was a view point at the top of this man made structure. It was windy but breath taking. We enjoyed taking in the sights! (And so did Milly!)

Friday evening, we went to dinner at Carl's parent's house (which is always wonderful!) and got to visit with his parents, Scott and Alfonc. They feel like a second family to me, I always love hanging out with them.


Saturday:

Saturday I spent the morning/afternoon with my parents are the farmers market, had lunch at Cloud & Kelleys and ran some errands. Then we went home to prepare for my birthday BBQ. Most of my family was there (I missed you Christensen family!!), Carl's parents and Alfonc came as well as one of my best friends Erin. It was so fun getting to spend quality time with everyone! I received the cutest red Fossil bag with an SB gift card from Carl's parents, a solar powered flower from Er (she has one too so we can be twins!), candy + money from Ev and Cor, and Milly getting her hair cut + money from mom and dad. I have come to realize that as you get older, you tend to ask for more practical things... like a hair cut for your dog. It's like $60 so I was happy to have someone else pay for it! :) Milly seems happy too. 

Saturday night, Carl and I drove back to Bend so I could be here for church on Sunday (since I work on Sunday's with the high schoolers). The drive is long but it's actually really pleasant because that's close to 3 hours that I get to spend with my love, just chatting about life or holding his hand. It's nice uninterrupted quality time (which is his love language so it works out!). 

WHEW! That was a lot! I'll make sure to break it up next time. 
The more I start this process of a new chapter, the more I realize how truly blessed I am. I still don't know how or why God decides to bless me but He does. Maybe it's His unconditional love? I believe that that could be it. He gives me grace and mercy despite how I act or feel. But don't mistake God for a big softy who isn't to be feared. God is big, and I mean BIG. He isn't to be taken lightly and neither are His commandments. He is just, merciful and all loving. He is just... amazing. I am incredibly thankful for the life, friends, family and opportunities He gives me. I just pray that I can only bring Him joy by fulfilling what He has called me to do.

Below are some recent pictures. I hope everyone had a great weekend!!

{Resting on the hammock in the back
yard playing with Milly}

{Having some good Jesus time in the sun.}

{Everyone in the house loves Milly! And she loves
 her new cuddle friends too! Haha oh James...}

{View from stopping point at the lava fields.}

{Taking the scenic route home.}
{Pointing us home on the compass! So cute.}

{Love this goof ball.}  

{Biggest moon ever on our way home
on Saturday! God is incredible.} 

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I am a little jealou of all these wonderful things! How great! I am so proud of you and I have really enjoyed reading your blog. You are in the place you need to be. It sounds like God had it all planned out and was just waiting for you o trust and let go. I love you! I am proud of yo!

    ReplyDelete